Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Singleness and Faith

As much as I am adverse to writing posts about the single issue, occasionally there is something that I feel is helpful to say.

2 weekends ago, after my first week of the new job, I went to 'A day on the Green' in Mudgee. It was quite fun. While at first it didnt bother me, the fact that everyone else in our group of 12 was with their significant other (and I was really tired from the first week of work) started to make me feel pretty sad. This wasnt helped by the fact that after a few bottles of wine had been drunk by the non-drivers, couples were being fairly snuggly which made me feel further left out and reminded of the lack of someone to snuggle with.

So, as I am driving the car back, I mention to one of my passengers that I was feeling pretty sad about my singleness. His response, which is one that I have heard a number of times was "Stu, you just have to trust God".
Now on face value, this comment seems quite true. In all aspects of our life we are called to trust in God. The thing that both my friend and I didnt realise is that I AM trusting God with it. Just because I find it difficult occasionally, doesnt mean I am not trusting God.

In recalling the conversation and thinking on it, two bible verses particularly come to mind:
Hebrews 12:4-11
"In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."

Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

and James 2:20-24
You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone."

From these verses (and others) I believe that I AM trusting in God. I am enduring hardship as discipline and my faith is accompanied by deeds. I havent gone off and found a non-Christian girlfriend, or picked up and slept with some girl I met at a nightclub. Nor have I given up on God and decided not to go to church anymore becasue I am not getting what I want.
I may find it difficult sometimes but I can see through my actions (and my feelings most of the time) that I am trusting God with this.
Although it may be hard sometimes, that doesnt mean I am not trusting God. My friend needs to know this so that when he and I talk about these things, he isnt inadvertantly saying something that isnt true, and I need to remember this so that when I feel sad about being single I dont heap on top of that guilt for not having enough faith in my creator and saviour.

I hope this helps some out there.
Stu

4 Comments:

At 3:22 pm, Blogger Lara said...

Those are great thoughts, Stu, and very important to remember. It's a good way to hold in tension our completeness in God with our longing for human companionship and relationship.

The other comment that gets to me is the "don't worry, it will happen one day!" The fact is, it may not. Only God knows. But we can keep on trusting him and growing through the experience!

 
At 4:57 pm, Blogger Stoobie said...

Agreed.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Donna-May said...

hey stu, thanks for your post it's helped me a lot. i just went through a similar experience over the weekend where i was with 3 couples (2 married and 1 going out) and started to feel sad about my singleness. your post has helped me to see that i'm still trusting God through it even though some times are more difficult than others. :)

 
At 5:25 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Dear Stu,
Just an online hug for you matey.
George

 

Post a Comment

<< Home