Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Pets

Hey.
I just thought I would write a quick post on pets and the value they can bring to your life.

As I site here typing, Henry the cat sits beside me. He is fascinated with all I do and wants to be a part of everything I get up to.
Not that Henry is my cat, but over the last while we have grown to be great friends. Once I get sorted in Canberra, I would like to try and get a cat.

Why on earth do I say this? Well, I have realised that in situations where I could feel lonely, such as being up in Sydney, away from my friends, I feel nothing of the sort. A big part of that I think is because of Henry.

I think that when people ask me why I would like to get married, one of the first things that comes to mind is companionship. Although a pet is not a person, the kind of relationship you have with a pet is similar in some regards.

Firstly, a pet and you are each others best friends. You spend lots of time together and really enjoy each others company. Secondly, a pet isnt likely to stop hanging out with you because they are too busy/have a boy or girl friend. A pet loves it when you come home and wishes you werent away. They are also keen to snuggle which is good for the human need of physical contact.

Of course a pet is not a person, nor a substitute for a spouse, however they can be greatly helpful in easing the loneliness factor and livening up your life. As a result of hanging out with your pet, you are then able to hang out with the people you know, not needing to get validation or too much interactive time, being able to spend time with people as a 'normal' well adjusted person.
You dont need more time or effort than the next person and are happy to go with the relational flow, not clinging to people or being 'high maintenance' but relaxed, making those around you feel quite comfortable with you there.

This, I have found will help leaps and bounds with the people you spend time with.

Stu

5 Comments:

At 12:58 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Preach the pet-greatness brother, preach it!

You and me should meet at some point while you're in Sydney in the New Year! Maybe we can persuade Karen and Ben to have a bloggers thing!

 
At 11:48 am, Blogger /Karen/ said...

Stu! I thought you were going to call!! We're on leave for two weeks (i.e. in Sydney but not working). Drop us a line ...

 
At 1:38 pm, Blogger Stoobie said...

Sorry for not calling Karen. :( I totally forgot. I though of you guys recently thinking 'werent we going to do something...'
Sorry about that. George has a good idea too with the bloggers thing.
Since I will be all booked out for weekends in Jan (I am going to summer school) maybe some kind of mid-week dinner could be an option. I will call soon!

 
At 1:23 pm, Blogger /Karen/ said...

Sounds good—that's definitely better for us too. Don't forget to call!

 
At 9:38 pm, Blogger Georgina said...

Midweek is good for me too. Not Thursdays if possible, as Wild St is having summer bible study!
And obviously not this week, as I'm in Coffs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home