Thursday, May 03, 2007

St Mix Weekend away

Last weekend was the St Mics getaway.
We went to a Christian campsite in Nowra, near the river. It is the same spot we go every year and I reckon it's a great place.
I finished work Friday night and drove up to the camp. The drive there was partly dull (expressway) and partly awesome (from Illawarra highway to Nowra). It didnt take too long though.
The weekend was really good. It was great to catch up with some of the dudes and especially good when it came to a few I hadnt seen in ages. One of the most encouraging parts of the weekend was how happy people were to see me. It was a good challenge for my perception of how people see me.
The topic of the weekend was 'Friends' and we spoke about the friendships that people have at church. One pressing issue was the one of 'clicky' groups at church and we talked about a number of things related to that.
We had 3 main talks and I guess they were:
1/ What was Jesus like to the people around him and what does he say about the way to treat people.
2/ Putting your faith into action by being loving to your fellow Christians.
3/ Putting your faith into action by being loving to non-Christians.
There were a number of related topics discussed but in 3 lines I would say that if asked.
All in all it was an awesome weekend and I am very glad I went.

4 Comments:

At 11:06 am, Blogger /Karen/ said...

It's sad that the clique problem is still a problem three years on.

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Stoobie said...

Hey Karen,
Thanks for the comment. If noone comments I assume noone is reading.
True about the clique sadly. I think part of it is the same people are still around and they are only getting cliquier as they age.
Stu

 
At 8:00 am, Blogger Ximno said...

It is sad. Age make Gumpy OLD men/women of us all... Snarl.

 
At 9:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that David Ould spoke the way he did because there have been positive changes clique-wise since the weekend. Lionel put together a list of suggestions that the congregation made in response to the talks, so we now have a standard that we own, which is geared to make us more outward focused. Like all churches, perfection is as far away as heaven. I think individually it helps to forget the idea of the elusive 'inner circle' and get on with the job of serving in the pew. A 1 Corinthians 12 sermon series wouldn't go astray (nor an Ephesians 4 for that matter), but none the less, I'm confident to say that there is progress, albeit slow. Since working with the staff, I'm also confident to say that Sandy and Lionel do a brilliant job with the night congregation (as they do the other three). Seeds are planted and watered and God will do the growing as he sees fit.

Did I mention it was good to see you there mate? Keep August 4th free (you too Beliz's). I got something I don't want you to miss :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home